The world is a BIG place and it can often seem overwhelming to a child...but also fill them with intrigue and adventure! A world map to a child can ignite a passion and understanding of the world that can stay with them for a lifetime.
So why does every child need a world map? We've collected together a few reasons why we think a world map is a must have in every homeschool classroom, on every bedroom wall and wherever else you can fit one in.
REASONS WHY EVERY CHILD NEEDS A WORLD MAP...
• If you're studying homeschool geography then learning about where you are in the world is a vital step. A world map is the great starting point. Stick a pin in your location and begin the adventure.
• World maps are the perfect resource to learn about distances and why on those long flights to your holiday destination it takes so long to get there! As well geography lessons they can also be used as part of maths lessons too, either to learn about distance or how to use grid references.
• Pin point where you've been and use a world map as your visual travel diary. Stick pins in the locations you've visited on holiday and use different colours to show where you'd all like to go or places your friends and family live.
• Play games with your world map and as part of your homeschool geography lessons. Make some flags of different countries around the world and get your child to locate them and place them on the world map. A great game to improve memory and obviously those fine motor skills.
• Discover the different environments on a geographical world map. Locate the deserts and the icy poles. Help your child to recognise why the deserts are mainly in the middle and the poles are at the top and bottom. An insightful way to learn visually about the equator and northern and southern hemispheres.
• Finally a world map is a great way to encourage your homeschoolers to want to learn about other cultures, people and countries all over the world. You could get them to pick a country at random they no nothing about then learn about it for a few hours. Maybe even look up some of the traditional food and make some delicious food.
Every child needs a world map as it gives them access to their world, allowing them to gain a greater understanding of their place within it. It can help them to discover new cultures and also excite them about travel, eventually helping them embrace and understand differences in people, countries and ways of life.
INSPIRED TO GET A WORLD MAP OR FANCY A FUN UPDATE?
Our A1 and A2 world maps are perfect for homeschool geography. Clearly laid out with lots of illustrations of Archie and his friends in lots of varying locations. We have both geographical and political maps for all ages so take peek at the links below to find out more.
A1 Geographical World Map - www.archiboldclutterbuck.co.uk/product-page/the-world-map
A2 Geographical World Map - www.archiboldclutterbuck.co.uk/product-page/the-world-map-a2
A2 Political World Map - www.archiboldclutterbuck.co.uk/product-page/political-world-map-a2